By Prarthna Sharma
1st May , 2016
International Workers Day observed on 1st May.
- 1st may is observed as International Workers/ Labours day across the globe every year.
- 2016 theme: “Celebrating the International Labour Movement”.
2nd May , 2016
Nico Rosberg won Russian Grand Prix 2016
- Germany’s Nico Rosberg has won the Russian Grand Prix 2016.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana launched
- With the aim of supplying cost free cooking gas (LPG ) to the women coming from BPL households, government has launched Ujjwala Yojana.
- Tagline of the Yojana: “Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.”
INS Kalwari’s first sea trial conducted.
- First sea trial of INS Kalwari,was conducted in Mumbai Naval Dockyard
- INS Kalwari is a Scorpene class stealth submarine, first of its kind to be indigenously built in India.
3rd May, 2016
RM Lodha Panel to monitor the working of Medical Council of India.
- R.M Lodha Panel has been constituted by Supreme Court of India, to monitor the working of Medical Council of India.
World Press Freedom Day celebrated on 3rd May
- World Press Freedom Day was observed all over the world on 3rd May.
- 2016 Theme: “Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms – This Is Your Right!”
Project Management and Information System app launched
- With the aim of ensuring efficient monitoring of railway projects , Project Management and Information System app (PMIS) was launched by Union Railways Ministry.
4th May, 2016
Bhupendra Kainthola gets appointed as new FTII Director.
- Bhupendra Kainthola replaces Prashant Pathrabe as the new FTII (Film and Television Institute of India) director.
5th May, 2016
Radha Binod Barman takes charge as the new Chairperson of National Statistical Commission
- Radha Binod Barman takes charge as the new Chairperson of National Statistical Commission
6th May, 2016
Sunil Lanba takes charge as the new Chief of the Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral Sunil Lamba replaces Admiral Robin K. Dhowan as the new Chief of the Naval Staff.
Kumar Rajesh Chandra takes charge as the Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra replaces G S Malhi as the new Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS)
7th May, 2016
Pakistan won Asia Kabaddi Championship 2016 by defeating India
- Pakistan grabbed the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016 trophy by defeating India in the finals.
8th May, 2016
‘Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star’ released.
- Biography of Shashi Kapoor , authored by Aseem Chhabra, ‘Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star’ was released.
Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik qualified for Rio Olympics 2016.
- Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik will represent India, in women wrestling, in Rio Olympics 2018.
9th May, 2016
Commemorative coin on Maharana Pratap released.
- Marking the 457th birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap, government launched Rs. 100 and Rs. 10 commemorative coin on him.
112 to be the emergency number throughout the country.
- From 1st January 2017, 112 will be operational as the Single emergency number across the country.
Atma Ram Nadkarni takes charge as the Additional Solicitor General.
- Atma Ram Nadkarni takes charge as the Additional Solicitor General.
.10th May, 2016
Training exercise ‘Chakravyuh-II’ conducted by Indian Army.
- ‘Chakravyuh-II’, second edition of training exercise was conducted by Indian Army in the state of Rajasthan..
Mrugank Paranjape appointed as CEO of Multi Commodity Exchange
- Mrugank Parajape is set to take charge as the new CEO of Multi Commodity Exchange.(MCX)
11th May , 2016
Rodrigo Duterte – New President of Philippines
- Rodrigo Duterte will be the new President of Philippines .
National Technology Day observed on 11th May.
- National Technology Day was observed on 11th May in the country.
- 2016 Theme: ‘Technology enablers of Startup India’.
12th May , 2016
Shashank Manohar takes charge as ICC’s first independent Chairman.
- Shashank Manohar is set to take charge as ICC( International Cricket Council)’s first independent chairman.
13th May, 2016
Government gives nod to India’s first National Intellectual Property Rights Policy .
- The government of India has given nod to India’s first National Intellectual Property Rights Policy.
14th May, 2016
15 year vision replaces 5 year plans.
- NITI(National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog is set to replace 5 year plans with the new 15 year vision documents.
Anil Kumble- chairman of ICC Cricket Committee chairman
- Anil Kumble takes charge as the chairman of ICC (International Cricket Council) Cricket Committee.
15th May, 2016
Fatma Samoura- first female Secretary General of FIFA council.
- FIFA(International Federation of Association Football )Council gets its first female secretary general, Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura.
Justice Naveen Sinha will be the new Chief Justice of Rajasthan HC.
- Justice Naveen Sinha gets appointed as the new Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
16th May, 2016
Tsai Ing-wen took charge as the President of Taiwan
- Tsai Ing-wen becomes the first female President of Taiwan.
17th May ,2016
Justice Mukul Mudgal takes charge as the deputy chairman of FIFA Governance Committee.
- Justice Mukul Mudgal takes charge as the new chairman of FIFA Governance Committee.
18th May ,2016
Anurag Thakur takes charge as the President of BCCI
- Anurag Thakur replaces Shashank Manohar as the President of BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India).
20th May, 2016
Kiran Bedi takes charge as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.
- Kiran Bedi has been appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry
21st May, 2016
May 21: Anti-Terrorism Day
- May 21st was observed as Anti- Terrorism Day across the nation.
22nd May, 2016
International Day for Biological Diversity observed on 22nd May.
- International Day for Biological Diversity is observed every year on May 22nd across the globe.
- 2016 Theme: “Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods
ASMITA, a student tracking system, was launched.
- ASMITA (All School Monitoring Individual Tracing Analysis) was launched by The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
23rd May, 2016
Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as the Chief Minister of Assam.
- Sarbananda Sonowal replaces Tarun Gogoi as the Chief Minister of Assam.
Indian Navy commissioned INS Tarmugli.
- INS Tarmugli, indigenously built Fast Attack Craft, was commissioned in Indian Navy.
24th May, 2016
S K Sharma takes charge as the CMD of Nuclear Power Corporation
- S.K.Sharma has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL)
Pankaj Advani wins Asian 6-Red Snooker title 2016.
- Pankaj Advani acquired the coveted tag of being the world’s first cueist to hold both world and continental title in 6-Red snooker, by winning the Asian 6-Red Snooker title , 2016.
25th May, 2016
RLV-TD- First reusable space shuttle launched by ISRO.
- RLV-TD – a reusable space shuttle , which is first of its kind in India was launched by ISRO at Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
26th May, 2016
Mamata Banerjee re-elected as the Chief Minister of West -Bengal.
- Mamta Banerjee has been re- elected as the eighth Chief Minister of West Bengal.
Bharatavani Portal launched.
- Bharatvani , a knowledge portal consisting of glossaries, dictionaries and terminology books depicting Indian heritage, was launched by The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
27th May, 2016
Pinarayi Vijayan takes charge as the Chief Minister of Kerala
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets elected as the 12th Chief Minister of Kerela.
India’s first assembly workshop for submarines inaugurated in Maharashtra
- First of its kind in India, an assembly workshop for submarines was inaugurated at Mazgaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
29th May, 2016
29 May observed as International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers was celebrated all over the world on 29th May.
- 2016 theme: “Honouring Our Heroes”.
30th May, 2016
Sunrisers Hyderabad won Indian Premier League title 2016
- Sunrisers Hyderabad won Indian Premier League title 2016, this will be their first IPL title.