- The President of India is the supreme commander of the Indian Defence System.
- The whole administrative control of the Armed forces lies in the Ministry of Defence.
- Indian Defence System has been divided into three services-Army, Navy and Air Force.
- The Indian Army is organised into seven commands :
|3.||Northern Command||56 A. P. O.|
|6.||Army Training Command||Shimla|
|7.||South Western Command||Jaipur|
In most of the books, the HQ of training command is given at Mhow (M.P), which is wrong. The HQ of training command is in Shimla.
INDIAN AIR FORCE
- It is organised into seven commands:
|1.Western Command||New Delhi|
|4.South Western Command||Jodhpur|
- It is organised into three commands:
RANKS OF COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
|General||Air Chief Marshal||Admiral|
|Lt. General Major General||Air Marshal||Vice Admiral|
|Major General||Air Vice Marshal||Rear Admiral|
|Lt. Colonel||Wing Commander||Commander|
|Major||Squadron Leader||Lt. Commander|
|Type||Surface to Surface||Surface to Surface||Anti-tank missile|
|Type||Surface to Suface||Surface to Surface||Naval ship launched (variant of Prithvi Missile)|
|Type||Surface to Surface||Surface to Surface||Submarine launched Ballistic missile|
|Type||Surface to Surface||Surface to Air||Stealth, Supersonic Cruise missile, that can be launched from01Submarine, Ships, Aircraft or Land|
|Type||Surface to Surface||Surface to Air||Surface to Surface|
PARAMILITARY AND RESERVED FORCES
|Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)||· It was established in 1962, after the Chinese attack.
· It is basically employed in the Northern borders for monitoring the borders and also to stop smuggling and illegal immigration.
|National Security Guards(NSG)||· It was established in 1984.
· It has been established to counter the surge of militancy in the country.
· It is a highly trained force which deals with the militants effectively.
|Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)||· It was set-up in 1969 after the recommendations of Justice B. Mukherji.
· Its objective is to monitor the industrial complexes of Central Government.
|Assam Rifles||· It was established in 1835 and is the oldest paramilitary force in the country.
· It main objective is to keep vigilance of international borders in North East and countering insurgency operations in Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland.
|Border Security Force (BSF)||· It was established in 1965.
· It keeps a vigil over the international borders against the intrusion in the country.
|Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)||· It was set-up in 1939.
· Its main objective is to assist the State / Union Territory Police in Maintenance of Law and order.
· The 88th Battalion of CRPF known as ‘Mahila Battalion’ (commissioned on March 30, 1986) is the world’s first paramilitary force comprising entirely of women
|National Cadet Corps (NCC)||· It was established in 1948.
· Its main objective is to stimulate interest among the youth in the defence of the country in order to build up a reserve man power to expand armed forces.
|Territorial Army (TA)||· It was established in 1948.
· It is a voluntary, part-time force (between 18 and years), not professional soldiers, but civilians, who wish to assist in defence of the country.
|Home Guards||· It was established in 1962, to assist the police in maintaining security, to help defence forces and to help local authorities in case of any eventuality.|
|Coast Guard||· It was set-up in 1978.
· Its objective is to protect the maritime and other national interests in the maritime zones on India.
|Intelligence Bureau (IB)||· It was set-up in 1920.
· Its objective is the collect secret information relating to country’s security.
· It was originally set-up as Central Special Branch (CSB) in 1987 and renamed IB in 1920.
|Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI)||· It was established in 1953.
· Its objective is to investigate cases of misconduct by public servants, cases of cheating, embezzlement and fraud.
· CBI is also entrusted with the investigation of international crime cases in collaboration with INTERPOL.
|National Crime||· It was established in 1986.|
|Records Bureau (NCRB)||· Its objective is to collect crime statistics at the national level, information of inter-state and international criminals to help investigation agencies.|
|Rapid Action Force (RAF)||· It was established in 1992.
· Under the operational command of CRPF.
· 10 battalions of the CRPF have been reoriented for tacking communal riots in the country.
YOU CAN REGISTER FOR OUR CORRESPONDENCE COURSES HERE.
You can read more about English HERE
You can read more about Logical Reasoning HERE
You can read more of Current Affairs HERE
You can read more of Legal Reasoning HERE.
You can read more of General Knowledge HERE